Friday, January 18, 2008

Work at the Beach

Today was a full day…of play. Yes, I know…we are supposed to be here helping the poor but Father Jack rarely gets out to rest, so we took him to the beach. So I guess you could say we were helping the poor in spirit. Every priest needs a day off and he rarely gets one, so it was nice to watch him rest.

The beach we went to is about a 45-minute ride from the church and truly beautiful. The sand is soft and the shells that wash up are relatively untouched…I guess unlike U.S. beaches, people don’t find value in collecting shells. Father Jack had fun showing us around his favorite place and after a lunch of ceviche and fresh fish, we all headed into our food comas. Father Jack took a nap and we just sat around and watched the people on the beach. Jack was a fish!! He loved jumping the waves, getting knocked over by waves AND we even saw a porpoise in the water! The beach on this particular day was very breezy and the temperature seemed cool…which sorta led to our skin’s doom. After leaving the beach, and even though we all applied sunscreen, we all realized we were burned in some way. My ears are toast. Jack has a little cute sun kissed face. But so worth it.

Jack’s favorite thing today: I liked getting splashed by the waves and landing on the beach. I liked the cave we climbed in and the crab that Miss Rox found. I also found some shells to give to my kindergarten class when I get home. I also liked the chicken that Miss Kim gave me at lunch.


Mom and Jack being silly


A sea cave and everyone...but Brad


The hostage crab


Jack eating Ceviche

Ceviche. Raw seafood soaked in lime. Sounds gross...but actually VERY good

No comments: